Friday, April 1, 2011

Job Interviews - What is said & what is heard!

Things are not always as they seem ... especially when trying to make a good impression on a job interview. Here's a list put together by Roberto Aponte, of some typical phrases said at job interviews and what might have been heard. Hope you find a few laughs ahead and nothing that hits too close to home!

Candidate to Interviewer:

What was said: I'm a very fast learner.
What was heard: I don't have the experience you're looking for.

What was said: I would change positions for the right opportunity.
What was heard: Make me an offer.

What was said: I've been an independent business consultant for the past two years.
What was heard: I've been out of work for two years.

What was said: I'd rather not talk about salary yet.
What was heard: I'm hoping you make me an offer before I have to disclose my low salary.

What was said: I left my last position, because I wasn't being challenged enough.
What was heard: My last company didn't trust me with the higher level responsibilities.

What was said: I'll get back to you with the names and contact information for my references.
What was heard: I have to call around first and tell people what I want them to say.

What was said: My leadership style is very honest and very direct.
What was heard: I'm abrasive, have no tact and don't get along well with people.

What was said: I'm a perfectionist and very detail-oriented.
What was heard: I'm a micromanager and don't trust anyone on my team.


Interviewer to Candidate:

What was said: This is a very hands-on position.
What was heard: You'll have limited resources and be expected to do things that are beneath you.

What was said: You have an extensive work history and are highly overqualified.
What was heard: We're looking for someone younger and less expensive.

What was said: Thank you for coming in today; we have a few more people to see, and then we'll get back to you.
What was heard: You won't hear from us again.

No comments:

Post a Comment